Frequently Asked Questions

We are delighted that you are thinking of joining us here at the King’s Lodge!

Below are questions and resources to help you along your way. Please read it carefully.

FAQ’s For Applicants

I am coming to the UK – Do I need a visa?

If you are from the UK, the EEA, or Switzerland, then no. You have free passage to come to England and attend our schools. If you are from outside one of those areas, then YES!

Everyone from outside Europe who is coming to serve with us in YWAM England & Wales does need a visa. Even if you are coming for only a few short months and your nationality allows you to enter without a visa as a tourist, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regulations state that all our workers must obtain visas.

How long will it take?

It depends on the country you are applying from. It can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks unless you pay more to have it expedited. Have a look at this processing time calculator that UKVI provides to get a better idea:

You should apply for your visa no more than three months before you intend coming and we suggest that you allow at least four weeks for your visa to be processed. We advise that you NOT book any kind of travel (air ticket etc) until you have been successfully granted your visa.

Which visa should I apply for?

As you are coming to the UK for WORK, you will need to obtain a Tier 5 Religious Worker Visa. This is a temporary worker’s visa. To read more information on this visa:

Where do I apply? How much will it cost?

You apply from your country of residence. To find out more, please visit the website below and follow the prompts to learn more, including the current fees for the visa:
Most nationalities will apply at for their initial visa.

Once you are accepted for a course we will require a deposit of £100 to be paid by you, guaranteeing your place*. (This is non-refundable, but will be deducted from the total cost of your lecture fees). On receipt of this, we will apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship number (COS) that you will need as part of your visa application.

We will then issue you with a Visa Guarantee Letter which contains the COS number and we will send you this letter, as well as the official Acceptance letter via email (digital copy only).

(*Please note that we reserve the right to ask for part, or all, of your course fees prior to issuing a Visa Guarantee Letter and Certificate of Sponsorship).

Can I extend my visa if I would like to stay longer?

Yes, for a maximum of two years (total time in the UK on this Visa). After two years, you MUST leave the country. You are also unable to switch to another type of Visa from within the UK.

All applicants enrolled on our courses are “trainees”, not students. The government has recognised that “a YWAM trainee is a person who comes to the UK with the intent to serve with YWAM and participate in one of our University of the Nations courses”, so it is important to use the right wording on your application!

Passport Expiration

It would also be a good idea to check the expiry date of your passport now, because you will not be allowed entry to the country if it is due to expire within six months after the end of your course.

Buying Air Tickets

Please do not book travel without having your visa first. When you do book your flights, you must book a return ticket and not a one-way ticket.

Police Checks

We are required to hold police checks on our staff and trainees in order for you to be here as part of YWAM England. During the application process, you will be asked to supply us with a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) certificate, if you are from the UK, or an equivalent police check from your country, at your own expense. We will not be able to accept you until this has been checked. Please bring the original certificate or letter with you when you come.

Medical Care and Travel Insurance

If you are from the EEA/EU, in order to access medical care, you are required to get the necessary documentation needed to show that your country has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the UK.

However, for non-EEA/EU citizens (ie anyone who needs to apply for a visa to come to train/be on staff with us). When you apply for your visa, you will have to pay a National Health Service (NHS) Surcharge as well. This will entitle you to health care while you are staying in the UK. The fee varies depending on your length of stay, so please see: for more details. The surcharge is also applicable to any dependants coming on your visa. If your visa application is refused, the surcharge will be refunded to you.

It is still essential for everyone to take out fully comprehensive travel insurance, as the NHS surcharge only covers for medical treatment in the UK. This medical care would not extend to your being flown home in the event of serious illness or death, so you should ensure that your insurance covers this, as well as covering you for such things as cancellation cover, personal belongings cover, as well as legal and personal liability cover. You may find the link below helpful in terms of general advice, even though it is for British Nationals travelling abroad, rather than for those coming to the UK:

If your course includes a field assignment, you would also need to take out travel and medical cover for this element of the course, but the medical element could now be arranged during the lecture phase if preferred. If you arrange your own, you would need to ensure that it is fully comprehensive medical and travel insurance which includes such things as: medical costs (minimum £2 million GBP/ equivalent), flights home due to emergency medical situations, repatriation in the case of death or serious injury, evacuation cover, cancellation cover, personal belongings cover, as well as legal and personal liability cover. For general advice, see:

Insurance of Personal Property

Generally, the King’s Lodge is a very safe place to live and work in. However it is important for every trainee to be aware that the King’s Lodge insurance policy only covers the property of the King’s Lodge and not trainees’ (or a staff member’s) personal property. If you’re concerned about this please ensure that any insurance purchased by you covers personal possessions, especially if you have valuable equipment such as laptops, guitars, iPods etc. We can offer safe storage for all your travel documents (passports, air tickets, etc) but not for large pieces of equipment.

Vaccinations and Medical Treatment in the UK

Because we are a close-knit community we require all our trainees to be up-to-date with standard vaccinations. Please ensure that you are up-to-date with the following vaccinations before you arrive at the King’s Lodge: Rubella, Tetanus/Diphtheria, and childhood vaccinations such as MMR. Please have your vaccination record with you for checking on registration day.

Trainees going on outreach should also be up-to-date with Polio, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Meningitis and Typhoid. If any vaccinations are not up-to-date upon your arrival you will be required to have them at your own time and expense during the lecture phase.

Other vaccinations and/or malaria medication may also be required (at your own expense) – but this will be advised once your outreach location is determined.

If you are not British and need to have an appointment with a doctor while in the UK – if you have paid the surcharge – you will not be charged (though you will be charged for medication). If you have not paid the surcharge (due to the length of your school), please be aware that this may cost at least £70 per visit, although you may be able to claim some/all of this back on your medical insurance.

Payment of Courses

The balance of your course fees must be paid before coming or at registration.

There are four options for payment of fees:

Option 1 – Credit/debit cards. This can be done through our website:

Please ensure you select the right option for what you are paying for (e.g. Registration fee or Lecture fee, if you are paying for your course fees)

Option 2 – National/International Bank transfer. Our bank details are as follows:
Bank: The Co-operative Bank
Bank Address: Business Direct, PO Box 250, Skelmersdale WN8 6WT
Account Name: Youth With a Mission The Kings Lodge
Account Number: 65764828
Sort Code: 08-92-99
IBAN: GB12 CPBK 089299 65764828

Option 3 – a cheque or banker’s draft from a British bank account – made payable to “YWAM”.

Option 4 – Cash in British pounds Sterling. (On arrival – for payment of the balance of fees. Please do not send cash through the post).

For administrative reasons we cannot accept foreign currency or cheques from non-British bank accounts. If you have any further questions, then please get in touch.

Please note: additional fees will be charged for trainees staying at TKL between terms at the current hospitality rates – which you will find on our website.

If you are an applying student/staff, you will be sent more information about The King’s Lodge and preparing to come here upon acceptance to your course.

All the very best as you seek God as to whether to join us in this next season!

Still Have Questions? Contact Us Below!

The data given on this form will only be used to answer your question and to respond to any quaries with regards to the initial request. Once your request has been completed, your data will be deleted.

3 + 4 = ?